OFFICE OF The speaker
Speaker of Council: Cllr Kobela Welhemina Modiba
>>>View Speaker Profile<<<
About the Office of the Speaker
Section 36 of the Local Government Municipal Structures Act 117 of 1998 (Municipal Structures Act) enjoins each municipal council to elect its chairperson who will be called the Speaker, in its first sitting after its election. At its first meeting held on 19 November 2021 the Council elected Cllr Kobela Wilhemina Modiba as its Speaker.
The Speaker has the following legislative functions in terms of section 37 of the Municipal Structures Act, as amended :
- presides at meetings ‘of the council;
- performs the duties and exercises the powers delegated to the speaker in terms of section 32;
- must ensure that the council meets at least quarterly;
- must maintain order during meetings;
- must ensure compliance in the council and council committees with the Code of Conduct;
- must ensure that council meetings are conducted in accordance with the rules and orders of the council;
- must ensure that the legislative authority of the municipality functions effectively;
- is responsible for the effective oversight over the executive authority of the municipality;
- must ensure the effectiveness of the committees of the municipal council established in terms of section 79;
- is responsible for the ethics and accountability of the municipal council; and
- must ensure the effectiveness and functionality of ward committees and the public participation processes.
The Speaker has additional delegated powers and functions under the Municipality’s System of Delegation of Powers. These include:
- to guard the integrity of the Council and its legislative processes;
- to deal with complaints lodged against councillors by members of the community;
- protect the checks and balances between the legislative and the executive arms of the Council;
- to facilitate public access to Council meetings; and
- to facilitate participation of traditional leaders in the affairs of the Municipality.
The Speaker’s office is administratively supported by the Legislative Support SBU comprising of Secretariat Services and Public Participation units.